Sunday, September 28, 2008

Janne Pesonen Fact of the Week

The golden helmet Janne wears was obtained by beating the devil in a hockey game for his soul...this was made famous in a song called "The Devil went down to Suomussalimi"

The song goes something like this...

The devil went down to Suomussalimi, he was looking for a soul to steal.
He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind: he was willin' to make a deal.
When he came across this young man shootin a puck and shootin it hard.
And the devil jumped upon a hickory stump and said: "Boy let me tell you what:
"I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a hockey player too.
"And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
"Now you play a pretty good puck, boy, but give the devil his due:
"I bet a helmet of gold against your soul, 'cos I think I'm better than you."
The boy said: "My name's Janne and it might be a sin,
"But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been."

Janne you tape up your blade and shoot that puck hard.
'Cos hells broke loose in Suomussalimi and the devil deals it hard.
And if you win you get this shiny helmet made of gold.
But if you lose, the devil gets your soul.

The devil opened up his case and he said: "I'll start this game."
And fire flew from his fingertips as he taped up his blade.
And he pulled the stick across the ice and it made an evil hiss.
Then a team of demons joined in and it sounded something like this.
When the devil finished, Janne said: "Well you're pretty good ol' son.
"But if you'll get down to that net, right there, i'll show you how its done."

Fire on the moun, run boys, run.
The devil's in the house of the risin' sun.
Chicken in the bread pin, pickin' out dough.
"Granny, does your dog bite?"
"No, child, no."

The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
He laid that golden helmet on the ground at Janne's feet.
Janne said: "Devil just come on back if you ever want to try again.
"I told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been."

And he played fire on the mount, run boys, run.
The devil's in the house of the risin' sun.
Chicken in the bread pin pickin' out dough.
"Granny, does your dog bite?"
"No, child, no."

2 comments:

LargeTurkey said...

This is really a spectacular blog. I used to have to go on google and search for news to find out about Janne. Now, this is my one stop shop. How long before he replaces Pascel Dupuis on the first line. He really has not business being there.

Vince said...

I really hope he replaces Dupuis... Don't get me wrong I really like Dupuis, he is one of the best skaters on the penguins, but as we say he can't finish worth shit... Janne has some real skill in front of the net (as seen in the pre-season game).