Monday, March 2, 2009

I hate Rumors...

Doing a little research to see who is out there with the trade deadline roughly 1 and 1/2 days away I crossed something disturbing. Mark Recchi and Gary Roberts names being linked to the Pens. I hope this is total bullshit. In our new attack style game brought to us by Dan Bylsma why would we trade for 2 players far beyond their primes.

I know a few of you would say our 3rd and 4th lines need grit. With Roberts, who is a grizzley old vet you have to wonder if he can take a regular shift. Recchi as much as I admire his desire, I just don't see where he would fit in anywhere.

I'm just hoping these are rumors and nothing else. Please let it be so...

Speaking of rumors, Hockeybuzz is claiming Pittsburgh is in on the Gaborik Talks...Take it or leave it, I don't care, in two days we'll have actual stuff to talk about... If it's true, I like Gaborik, he's soft and quite fragile and we probably couldn't get him to resign at the end of the season... SOOOO i have a feeling shero learned his lesson with Maid Marian...

4 comments:

Nulpher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nulpher said...

Recchi was mud the entire time we had him recently. If he played like he did in his younger days when we won the cups, then I'd take him. But now? No.

And although the WWGRD? days were fun, Roberts is, from what I have heard, unlikely to play next season. Its not like he hasn't won a cup (Already did so with Calgary), so he really doesn't have much incentive to not retire.

Tin Puck said...

I was under the impression that Roberts had already said he would retire at the end of this year.

As for Recchi, I don't think I'd want him either but he did put up five points in a game recently. We could do worse.

Now Gaborik could be worth the gamble. The surgery which put him out for so long this season was also supposed to fix his injury problem. If he returns to form he's easily a point per game player and could break fifty goals playing on the wing with Bing or Geno. I'd be on board for a trade if it didn't cost us an arm and a leg, but I don't see how it couldn't. The fact that he's a free agent after this season is another negative. As he's likely to take the Hossa route and sign a short term deal elsewhere after this season just to prove he's not glass anymore.

If we could get him cheap and sign him to one year deal for 6-7 million I think it'd be a coup and well worth it. Maybe he'd even consider staying. This is all, of course, dependent on us making the right moves under the cap. Which, again, is a long shot.

Vince said...

I agree i think Gabby would be great to have, too bad hockey buzz is reporting it so 99% chance it isn't true...