Thursday, November 13, 2008

Just some thoughts

On the one comment board Mark made the comment, "I'm just a lil frustrated right now with the fact that a golden player like Janne is still in WBS..." and i was gonna post my response to the comment section but i figured i'd just post it here:

Somebody on offense is bound to get injured... I know that is terrible to think, but in such a physical game with such a long season it is almost impossible that our entire offensive core will last the entire season. We just have to hope it isn't malkin or crosby mainly, but I could easily see somebody getting injured and out for a month giving Janne and/or Minard a chance, then it's up to them to prove that they can cut it in the big leagues...

Personally, and honestly this is not because of my bias towards Janne, but I really don't think Minard has the chops to cut it in the big leagues... The big question for him was speed, and when i say that I am not talking about his speed which is fine... I am talking about the speed of everybody else. With him it seems that when the Defense is playing at NHL level, he can't score, and since he doesn't bring much to the table but his sniping ability he is pretty much useless. I think he is a fine player at the AHL level, and I would love to be proven wrong and have his abilities translate to the NHL, but I truely do not see that happening...

Based on this, I would say that once there is an offensive injury we will most likely see Minard get the call first (unless he continues laying eggs in the AHL), but if he doesn't bring success to the table we will see him sent down for janne, and I truely feel that Janne has a good deal to bring to the table in the NHL... Chances are he will not automatically crack the top line, but i would LOVE to see Janne - Staal - Cooke... janne moving the puck, staal in front of the net, and Cooke outside waiting to fire...

Anyways those are my thoughts...

1 comment:

Skoz said...

Agreed.

Minard does seem like the most logical call up because of his numbers, but who is responsible for all of the nasty set-ups. I feel like I could be putting up awesome numbers in the AHL playing on Pessi's line.